Question: Is it legal for a non-citizen to have a job in the United States? If so, what is the legal process to gain and keep employment?

Answer: A non-citizen can obtain work authorization in the United States in various ways. For example, a legal permanent resident can legally work in the United States and they will have a document called a work authorization that simply states they’re authorized to work in the U.S. There are also many employment-based visas, which specifically are there to allow people to obtain work in the United States. There are some visas that are very specific: for example, an international company that has offices in the United States can apply for certain of their employees to work in the United States. And there is an application that you can file, and it is dependent on your status at the time and the reason for your filing, whether you will be eligible to obtain that work authorization.

Return to Video Library

Helpful Videos

Click Here To Browse Our Video Library

Watch Here

Ask Tracey A Question

Send Us Your Questions Today!

Get Started Now

Wisconsin Criminal Fact Guide

Download Our Guide & Audio Questions

Listen Now