Question: Is it possible for a minor to have parental consent to engage in a sexual relationship with someone over the age of 18 in Wisconsin?

Answer: No. In Wisconsin, a parent does not have the legal authority to give consent for their child to engage in sexual activity. It is possible for a 16 year-old or a 17 year-old to obtain a marriage license with the consent of their parent and, under those circumstances, being married does prevent the application of some laws governing the abuse of minors. However, a married 16 year-old is still not treated the same as an unmarried 18 year-old. So even an adult who is married to a child could theoretically find themselves in violation of the law for sexual activities. The best way to ensure that no laws are being violated is not to marry or have sex with someone under the age of 18.

Return to Video Library

Helpful Videos

Click Here To Browse Our Video Library

Watch Here

Ask Tracey A Question

Send Us Your Questions Today!

Get Started Now

Wisconsin Criminal Fact Guide

Download Our Guide & Audio Questions

Listen Now