Appealing Wisconsin Sex Crime Conviction

Question: How can a person appeal a sex crime conviction in Wisconsin?

Answer: Generally, any appeal will begin with the filing of a Notice of Intent to Pursue Post-Conviction Relief. That occurs after a case has been finalized in the trial court, so after the sentencing has occurred. After that document has been filed, there are deadlines to order transcripts, to file the notice of appeal with the filing fee and then the briefing schedule is all set by statute. There are some rare cases where an appeal can be taken as a judges ruling while the case is still pending in the trial court; you have to get special permission to do that. It is rare, but it does sometimes occur. But usually the appeal will start after sentencing.

Call (608) 490-5779 or Schedule a Free Case Evaluation Online

Contact Us

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Scroll Back to Top
24-Hour Support