Question: How can a person appeal a sex crime conviction in Wisconsin?

Answer: Generally, any appeal will begin with the filing of a Notice of Intent to Pursue Post-Conviction Relief. That occurs after a case has been finalized in the trial court, so after the sentencing has occurred. After that document has been filed, there are deadlines to order transcripts, to file the notice of appeal with the filing fee and then the briefing schedule is all set by statute. There are some rare cases where an appeal can be taken as a judges ruling while the case is still pending in the trial court; you have to get special permission to do that. It is rare, but it does sometimes occur. But usually the appeal will start after sentencing.

Return to Video Library

Helpful Videos

Click Here To Browse Our Video Library

Watch Here

Ask Tracey A Question

Send Us Your Questions Today!

Get Started Now

Wisconsin Criminal Fact Guide

Download Our Guide & Audio Questions

Listen Now